Contemplating divorce in League City? Check top FAQs here

Filing for divorce is a hard decision, but fortunately, the legal process doesn’t have to be complicated in Texas. The state allows for no-fault divorces, which means you don’t have to blame or accuse your spouse. Just saying that the marriage is beyond saving is a conclusive ground for divorce in Texas. There are also fault grounds for divorces, including adultery, cruel treatment, the conviction of a felony, and abandonment. There is also a wait time of 60 days in the state, which is the minimum time you have to wait to get a divorce. Consulting a League City divorce attorney will benefit your case enormously. For your help, we have listed a few facts below.

What is the process like?

The entire divorce process in Texas can be divided into key steps. The first step is to file for the Petition of Divorce, which can be done by either spouse. If one spouse feels the need for a temporary order, they can apply for the same. If the divorce is a no-fault one, the separating spouses must wait for 60 days before getting a decree. In fault-based divorces, there are other steps, like the discovery of evidence, negotiation of settlements, and a trial, as applicable. Note that a couple is expected to have their separation agreement in a no-fault divorce too. 

What are the residency requirements to file for divorce in League City?

To file for divorce in League City, a spouse (either one) must have lived in Texas for six months before filing. This has to be continuous for six months. Also, one of the two people must be living in Galveston County for at least 90 days before the filing. 

How are assets divided in Texas?

Texas is one of the community-property states where assets are divided equally between spouses. This may not always mean a 50-50 split, as the court will consider other factors too. For instance, if you have been a stay-at-home spouse, you are still entitled to certain assets. Similarly, if you had property before your marriage and can prove that it belonged just to you, your spouse cannot get 50% of that. It all depends on the circumstances of the divorce. 

If you want temporary spousal support, you can talk to your lawyer about that. It is possible to get alimony (also called temporary spousal support in Texas) if you earn considerably less than your spouse or were unemployed for a while.