Germany remains among the top non-native English-speaking countries for international students due to its trendy cities and low tuition fees. For students from around the globe, Germany is an ideal place to study due to its rich cultural heritage and solid historical background. There are many advantages to get admissions in Germany, including affordable public universities, globally recognized degrees from well-regarded institutions, a high standard of living, and excellent employment prospects.
Steps To Get Admissions in Germany
Step 1: Budget Evaluation
Studying abroad in Germany requires you to consider your budget and whether you may be able to obtain a scholarship or a loan. Since most universities in Germany do not provide housing, students need to calculate accommodation and blocked account costs separately from their studies budget.
Step 2: Find A Perfect University
In order to apply for a German university, you must first identify one that suits your interests and your intended field of study. The following factors should be considered when searching for a university in Germany that aligns with your interests:
- Identify a few universities that you would like to get admissions in Germany in advance and narrow down your options. To find out which are the top universities in Germany, you can check the QS World Rankings.
- There are a variety of courses offered by universities in Germany to international students. Nearly 2,000 programs are available to search from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), including 1,389 in English.
Step 3: Apply To Your Desired University
For admission to a German university, you must apply to the institution you wish to attend. Here are some ways you can get admissions in Germany:
- Go to the official university website to apply.
- Make use of the German Academic Exchange Service’s (DAAD’s) centralized admissions portal for international students. It is not used by all universities. Please inquire with your university for more information.
- You can apply directly to the university’s international office.
- In most cases, you will need to complete an application form, upload all required documents, and pay a fee.
Step 4: Apply For A Student Visa
The next step after completing the above steps of admissions in Germany is to obtain a visa. Depending on your country of origin, the duration of your stay in Germany, and the purpose of your visit, the process for obtaining a student visa will vary.
To study in Germany, students from the European Union do not require a visa or any other documentation. In addition, students from a select group of non-EU countries do not require a visa for studying in Germany. Using the Federal Foreign Office website, you can determine whether your country is one of those without visa requirements.
Step 5: Find Accommodation
Upon completing the Germany application process, it is imperative to begin searching for an accommodation as soon as possible, since most German universities do not provide housing for enrolled students. There are a number of accommodation options available in Germany, including:
- Student halls of residence
- Private apartments
- Youth hostels or guest house
Step 6: Enroll
The final step in the admissions in Germany is to enroll at your university so that you can begin your course and use university facilities. The certificate of enrolment is referred to as an “Immatrikulationsbescheinigung”. In the future, you will need this document on a number of occasions. In most cases, the enrollment period is quite short. Upon enrollment, you will receive a student identification number.
The official enrollment process allows you to take courses at university, take examinations, and earn an academic degree. Normally, students must enroll at the university’s Office of Student Affairs (“Studentensekretariat”).
That’s it! Here is everything you need to know about studying in Germany. So go ahead and explore all that Germany has to offer and obtain a chance to study at your dream university!