Individuals suffering from rosacea should consult a skin specialist in Islamabad. The skin specialist can help diagnose and provide guidance regarding effective treatment options. It would allow the person to be more confident and function adequately in their life.
What is rosacea and its symptoms?
It is a skin condition; in which the person gets redness on the face, and the blood vessels become visible. Women above thirty-five are at a higher risk of developing the condition. The permanent cure for rosacea is unknown. However, with the help of medications, the person can manage the symptoms. The common signs and symptoms of rosacea are:
- The person can easily observe redness in the middle of the face.
- The facial blood vessels become noticeable around the cheeks.
- Visible small bumps with pus become noticeable.
- The skin remains hot around the affected part.
- The eyes remain dry.
- The person experiences irritation in the eyes.
- The eyelids become red and swollen.
- The patient can notice swelling around the nose.
What are the known causes of rosacea?
The known cause of rosacea is unknown. However, genetic and environmental factors play a vital role in suffering from the condition. The triggers that are known to correlate with rosacea include:
- Women are at a higher risk of suffering from rosacea
- People with fair skin have a higher chance of suffering from redness around the cheeks. correlating to rosacea.
- People above the age of thirty-five suffer from the condition at a higher rate.
- People using blood pressure medications can develop the condition as a side-effect.
- Certain foods are known to trigger rosacea. Alcohol and spicy food are among the known triggers.
- The use of cosmetic and skin-care products can trigger the condition.
- In extreme weather, the chances of suffering from rosacea increase.
What are the complications associated with rosacea?
The condition can cause rhinophyma. It refers to the enlargement of oil glands causing the buildup of tissues around the nose and cheeks.
How does the specialist diagnose the condition?
The specialist examines the skin by observing the changes in the color and texture of the skin. Additionally, in some cases, a skin biopsy may be advised. Skin biopsy helps rule out other possibilities that may be causing the symptoms.
What medications help in treating rosacea?
The medications used to treat rosacea are:
Use of Dicarboxylic Acids: The medications help reduce the redness and swelling around the cheeks and nose.
Use of Oral Antibiotics: In severe cases, it may lead to infection. Hence, antibiotics help to the infection and avoid further complications.
Use of retinoids: The medications id used to treat acne-like lesions that cause pain and discomfort.
What surgical procedures and therapies are proven helpful in treating rosacea?
Other treatment options to treat rosacea are:
- Electrosurgery: The procedure utilizes an electric current to treat the affected area.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the dead skin that causes discomfort.
- Laser: In severe cases, laser therapy helps reduce the redness caused by enlarged blood vessels.
What self-care steps can help the patient manage the symptoms?
The self-care steps that can help the patient manage the symptoms are:
- The person should use sunscreen to avoid complications.
- The person should understand and avoid the triggers.
- The person diagnosed with rosacea should avoid using heavy makeup.
- The use of skin-care products should be approved by the specialist.
- If the person notices redness around the cheeks and nose, it is best not to scratch as it may worsen the condition.
- The patient diagnosed with the condition should avoid consuming alcohol and related products.
People diagnosed with rosacea should consult the best dermatologist in Lahore; to evaluate the severity of their condition. Additionally, the specialist will help them understand the triggers that contribute to their condition. The doctor will guide the treatment options for avoiding further complications.