What to Do When Stung by a Wasp: First Aid and Treatment


Encounters with wasps can be unnerving, and the prospect of being stung by one is never pleasant. Wasp stings can cause immediate pain, discomfort, and in some cases, allergic reactions that require immediate medical attention. In this article, we will discuss what to do when stung by a wasp, including first aid measures and treatment options to alleviate pain and minimize the risk of complications.

Immediate Reactions to a Wasp Sting

When a wasp stings, it injects venom into the skin, leading to a range of immediate reactions. These can include:

Pain: A wasp sting typically causes sharp, immediate pain at the site of the sting.

Redness and Swelling: The area around the sting usually becomes red, swollen, and may develop a raised, itchy bump.

Itching: Itching at and around the site of the sting is common.

Localized Heat: The affected area may feel warm to the touch.

In most cases, these immediate reactions can be managed with first aid at home. However, in some cases, individuals may experience severe allergic reactions, which require immediate medical attention. Allergic reactions to wasp stings can include symptoms such as difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of the face, lips, or throat, and a drop in blood pressure. Anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction, can occur in severe cases.

First Aid for Wasp Stings

If you are stung by a wasp, it’s essential to take immediate steps to manage the situation and alleviate pain. Here is what you can do:

Move Away from the Area: If you are near a wasp nest or colony, move away to avoid further stings. Wasps release a chemical signal when they sting, which can attract other wasps to the area.

Remove the Stinger: If the wasp’s stinger is visible on your skin, gently scrape it off with the edge of a credit card or a similar flat object. Do not use tweezers or your fingers, as this can release more venom.

Wash the Area: Clean the affected area with soap and water to reduce the risk of infection.

Apply a Cold Compress: Place a cold compress or ice pack wrapped in a cloth on the sting for 10-20 minutes to reduce pain, swelling, and itching.

Elevate the Area: If the sting is on an extremity, like a hand or foot, elevate it to help reduce swelling.

Take Over-the-Counter Pain Relief: If you are in pain, you can take over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen according to the recommended dosage. Avoid aspirin, as it can increase the risk of bleeding.

Use Topical Ointments: Over-the-counter ointments or creams containing hydrocortisone or antihistamines can help reduce itching and inflammation.

Avoid Scratching: Resist the urge to scratch the sting, as this can lead to infection and worsen the irritation.

When to Seek Medical Attention

While most wasp stings can be managed at home with first aid, it’s crucial to be aware of situations that require medical attention. Seek immediate medical help if you experience any of the following:

Severe Allergic Reactions: If you exhibit signs of a severe allergic reaction, such as difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, lips, or throat, or a drop in blood pressure, you may be experiencing anaphylaxis and require immediate medical attention.

Multiple Stings: Being stung multiple times by wasps can lead to a more severe reaction. Seek medical attention if you have been stung numerous times.

Stings Inside the Mouth, Nose, or Throat: Stings in these areas can cause swelling that may obstruct the airway. Seek immediate medical assistance.

Stings Near the Eyes: Stings near the eyes can lead to significant swelling and discomfort. Medical evaluation may be necessary.

Signs of Infection: If the sting site becomes increasingly red, swollen, painful, and exhibits pus or discharge, it may be infected and require medical treatment.

Preventing Wasp Stings

Prevention is the best approach when it comes to wasp stings. Here are some tips to minimize the risk of being stung:

Avoid Fragrances: Wasps are attracted to fragrances, including perfumes, scented lotions, and brightly colored clothing. Consider using unscented products when spending time outdoors.

Cover Food and Drinks: When eating or drinking outdoors, keep food and beverages covered to avoid attracting wasps.

Keep Garbage Secure: Ensure that outdoor garbage cans have secure lids to prevent wasps from being drawn to them.

Stay Calm: If a wasp is near you, remain calm and still. Swatting at it can provoke an attack.

Avoid Nest Disturbance: Be cautious around wasp nests and hives. Avoid disturbing them or trying to remove them without professional assistance.

Wear Protective Clothing: When engaging in activities that may expose you to wasps, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and closed-toe shoes. Consider using protective gear like beekeeper suits if necessary.


Being stung by a wasp can be painful and uncomfortable, but with the right first aid, most stings can be managed at home. It’s crucial to recognize when an allergic reaction or severe sting requires immediate medical attention. By taking precautions to avoid attracting wasps and following safety measures when outdoors, you can minimize the risk of being stung and enjoy your time outside with peace of mind.